NEW YORK (PIX11) — Police arrested the suspected Brooklyn subway shooter Wednesday, the day after he allegedly opened fireplace on a prepare, taking pictures 10, officers mentioned.
Frank R. James, 62, had been recognized as an individual of curiosity on Tuesday after which upgraded to a suspect within the case. He was captured in Manhattan. James faces as much as life in jail if he’s convicted, prosecutors mentioned. He’s being charged federally on a terrorism offense.
“We got him, we got him,” Mayor Eric Adams mentioned.
James was stopped on the road after a CrimeStoppers tip, NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell mentioned. He was taken into custody round 1:40 p.m. A whole lot of NYPD officers labored “doggedly” to seek out him. He’s since been taken to an NYPD precinct.
“We were able to shrink his world quickly,” she mentioned. “There was nowhere left for him to run.”
Police had zeroed in on James due to a U-Haul key left on the scene of the taking pictures. James had rented the U-Haul, which was present in Brooklyn hours after the assault.
James was noticed in a McDonald’s at East sixth Road and First Avenue, police mentioned. Officers headed there after a CrimeStoppers tip. James wasn’t there, so the officers searched the realm. They discovered him close by at St. Marks Place and First Avenue.
Now that he’s in custody, James is being charged by the U.S. Legal professional’s Workplace within the Japanese District of New York. He’s being charged with one rely of violating 18 U.S.C. 1992(a)(7), which prohibits terrorist and different violent assaults towards mass transportation programs, U.S. Legal professional Breon Peace mentioned.
“Yesterday was a dark day for all of us,” Peace mentioned. “But the bright spots of the incredible heroism of our fellow New Yorkers helping each other in a time of crisis, the quick response by our first responders, and the hard work by all of our law enforcement partners that has been ongoing truly shines bright.”
James allegedly placed on a gasoline masks on a northbound N prepare simply earlier than 8:25 a.m. Tuesday, then pulled out two canisters and opened fireplace as smoke crammed the prepare, police mentioned. Seven males and three ladies have been shot. James allegedly fired 33 instances.
Right here ‘s what we find out about James:
- James posted social media movies decrying the U.S. as a racist place awash in violence and recounting his wrestle with psychological sickness. His profanity-laden movies are replete with violent language and bigoted feedback, some towards different Black individuals
- The gun James allegedly used was bought at a pawn store — a licensed firearms vendor — within the Columbus, Ohio, space in 2011, a regulation enforcement official who wasn’t approved to debate the investigation mentioned on situation of anonymity
- James has ties to Philadelphia and Wisconsin
- Investigators imagine James drove up from Philadelphia on Monday and have reviewed surveillance video exhibiting a person matching his bodily description popping out of the van early Tuesday morning
- Police described the suspected gunman as being round 5 ft, 5 inches tall. The person weighs round 175-200 kilos. He was final seen sporting a gasoline masks and a building vest. Police initially mentioned the vest was inexperienced, however later officers mentioned it was orange. The person additionally had on a grey, hooded sweatshirt.
- He was arrested a number of instances from 1992-1998, together with a number of instances in New York and thrice in New Jersey
Recommend a Correction