NEW YORK (PIX11) — Police arrested the suspected Brooklyn subway shooter Wednesday, the day after he allegedly opened fireplace on a prepare, taking pictures 10, officers stated.
Frank R. James, 62, had been recognized as an individual of curiosity on Tuesday after which upgraded to a suspect within the case. He was captured in Manhattan. James faces as much as life in jail if he’s convicted, prosecutors stated. He’s being charged federally on a terrorism offense.
“We got him, we got him,” Mayor Eric Adams stated.
James was stopped on the road after a CrimeStoppers tip, NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell stated. He was taken into custody round 1:40 p.m. A whole bunch of NYPD officers labored “doggedly” to search out him. He’s since been taken to an NYPD precinct.
“We were able to shrink his world quickly,” she stated. “There was nowhere left for him to run.”
Police had zeroed in on James due to a U-Haul key left on the scene of the taking pictures. James had rented the U-Haul, which was present in Brooklyn hours after the assault.
The 62-year-old man allegedly placed on a gasoline masks on a northbound N prepare simply earlier than 8:25 a.m. Tuesday, then pulled out two canisters and opened fireplace as smoke crammed the prepare, police stated. Seven males and three ladies have been shot. James allegedly fired 33 instances.
Right here ‘s what we find out about James:
- James posted social media movies decrying the U.S. as a racist place awash in violence and recounting his wrestle with psychological sickness. His profanity-laden movies are replete with violent language and bigoted feedback, some in opposition to different Black individuals
- The gun James allegedly used was bought at a pawn store — a licensed firearms vendor — within the Columbus, Ohio, space in 2011, a regulation enforcement official who wasn’t licensed to debate the investigation stated on situation of anonymity
- James has ties to Philadelphia and Wisconsin
- Investigators consider James drove up from Philadelphia on Monday and have reviewed surveillance video displaying a person matching his bodily description popping out of the van early Tuesday morning
- Police described the suspected gunman as being round 5 toes, 5 inches tall. The person weighs round 175-200 kilos. He was final seen carrying a gasoline masks and a development vest. Police initially stated the vest was inexperienced, however later officers stated it was orange. The person additionally had on a grey, hooded sweatshirt.
- He was arrested a number of instances from 1992-1998, together with a number of instances in New York and 3 times in New Jersey
This can be a growing story. Verify again for updates.
Counsel a Correction